Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Heart Tie-Dye Shirt


 In my textiles and apparel class at school, we did tie-dying last week.  Last year I just made a swirly thing, but this year I decided to make something more exciting - I decided on a heart:)  It actually wasn't very hard to make.


1.  Fold the t-shirt in half.
2.  Lightly sketch a half of a heart on the fold.
3.  With needle and thread, knotted at the end, sew large stitches along the pencil drawing.
4.  When you get to the end, pull the threads up as tight as you can and tie a knot.
5.  Place a rubber band on that spot.  Continue with rubber bands on the other parts.
6.  {The shirts were then treated with a solution to keep the colors nice and bright.}
7.  Die the shirt; you would normally do each section you rubber band a different color.  You can do it randomly or in a pattern, or whatever!


The colors I used are fuchsia, turquoise, green, and yellow.  I got all those colors, plus some purple and orange in my shirt.  It was lots of fun and I really like them!!

Have you guys ever done tie-dying before?

Have a wonderful happy day!

No comments: